Lighthouses of Australia: North Western Australia

Western Australia is by far the largest state in the Australian union, including roughly one third of the country and about the same fraction of the coastline. The coast sweeps in a great semicircle, facing south on the Southern Ocean, west and northwest on the Indian Ocean, and north on the Timor Sea. A large part of the coastline is wild and thinly populated, and there are some very large gaps between lighthouses.

Because of the large area of the state, two pages are required in the Directory. This page includes lighthouses of the northern half of the coast: the Gascoyne, Pilbara, and Kimberley regions. A second page covers South Western Australia.

The coastal Western Australia lighthouses are managed by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA), but after automation a number of the light station properties were transferred to the control of the state Department of Parks and Wildlife.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume K of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA numbers are from Publication 111.

General Sources
Lighthouses of Western Australia
The section of the Lighthouses of Australia site devoted to Western Australia lights.
Lighthouses of Western Australia
Photos and information posted by Pauline O'Brien.
Seaside Lights - Western Australia
Photos and notes by Garry Searle.
Lighthouses and Lightvessels in Australia - Western Australia
Index to Wikipedia articles; many include photos.
Lighthouses from the Air - Part 4 and Part 5
Articles from the Lighthouses of Australia Bulletin of December 2001 and January 2002, including good aerial photos of Western Australian lighthouses.
Around Australia Chasing Lighthouses - Part 3
Article from the Lighthouses of Australia Bulletin of January 2001 by John Ibbotson, including photos of many of the more remote lighthouses.
Australian Lighthouses
This site, posted by Kevin Mulcahy, has a comprehensive list of Australian lighthouses and includes good photos of some of them.
World of Lighthouses - Western Australia
Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
Online List of Lights - Australia
Coming soon: photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Leuchttürme Australiens und Ozeaniens auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.


Vlaming Head Light, Exmouth, July 2005
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Brian Yap

Gascoyne Region Lighthouses

Southern Gascoyne Coast (Shark Bay and Carnarvon Area) Lighthouses
Steep Point (2)
1984 (station established 1960). Active; focal plane 70 m (230 ft); white flash every 10 s. 4 m (13 ft) white fiberglass tower with lantern and gallery. The original lighthouse was a 4 m (13 ft) cast iron tower of similar design. A photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. The light marks the westernmost point of the Australian mainland, guiding vessels through a narrow passage at the south end of Dirk Hartog Island. Located atop a vertical cliff at the pojnt of the cape. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS AUS-304; Admiralty K1728; NGA 9208.
Cape Inscription
1910. Active; focal plane 39 m (127 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 15 m (49 ft) round concrete block tower with lantern and gallery. Tower is unpainted, lantern painted white. This is Australia's westernmost lighthouse, standing in longtitude 112°58.0' E. A DPAW photo is at right, another closeup photo and a third photo are available, Lighthouses of Australia has a photo by John Ibbotson (1/3 of the way down the page), Winsome Bonham has an aerial photo, and Google has a satellite view. The keeper's houses and other station buildings have been restored in a decade-long effort that earned a UNESCO Asia-Pacific Cultural Heritage Conservation award in September 2014. The lighthouse is located on Dirk Hartog Island, a long island sheltering Shark Bay. The island, long privately owned, is now incorporated in the Shark Bay Marine Park. The one accommodation on the island is at least 50 km (30 mi) to the south. It is possible to reach the site by 4WD vehicle, but this would require a substantial expedition. Located at the northernmost point of the island, marking the entrance to Shark Bay. Site open, tower closed. Operator: AMSA. Site manager: Dept. of Parks and Wildlife (Shark Bay Marine Park). ARLHS AUS-032; Admiralty K1724; NGA 9212.
Cape Inscription Light
Sunset at Cape Inscription Light, Dirk Hartog Island
Western Australia Dept. of Parks and Wildlife photo by C. Thomson-Dans
[Cape St. Cricq]
1971. Active; focal plane 44 m (144 ft); white flash every 2.5 s. 2 m (7 ft) white fiberglass cabinet. No photo available, but Google has a distant satellite view. Cape St. Cricq is the southern tip of Dorre Island, one of two long, narrow islands at the northern edge of Shark Bay. Located on a steep bluff near the point, opposite Cape Inscription on Dirk Hartog Island. Site and tower closed. Site manager: Dept. of Parks and Wildlife (Bernier and Dorre Island Nature Reserve). Admiralty K1723; NGA 9216.
* Cape Peron
1980s (?). Active; focal plane 57 m (187 ft); white flash every 5 s. Approx. 20 m (66 ft) slender round cylindrical tower, painted white. Stefan Grötsch has a photo, another photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Cape Peron is the northern tip of the Peron Peninsula, which is connected tenuously to the mainland east of Dirk Hartog Island. The northern portion of the peninsula is set aside as François Peron National Park. Cape and park are named for the French naturalist François Peron, who studied the area in the early 1800s. Located on the point of the cape. Accessible by 4WD vehicles (guided tours are available and recommended). Site open, tower closed. Admiralty K1726; NGA 9228.
** Babbage Island (1)
1896. Inactive since 1961. Approx. 6 m (20 ft) round tower with lantern. Lantern dome painted with red and white vertical stripes. Brian Yap's photo is at right, a 2011 photo is available, Google has a street view, and Bing has a distant satellite view. The 1-story keeper's house is a museum. The lantern was originally mounted on a wood frame skeletal tower, which was damaged by fire in 1909 and again in 1961. The light was then moved to a modern steel tower. Located at Pelican Point, the northwestern tip of Babbage Island, on the northwest side of Carnarvon. Site open, Lighthouse Cottage Museum open daily 2-4 pm, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Carnarvon Heritage Precinct. ARLHS AUS-275.
* Babbage Island (2)
1962. Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); flash every 5 s, white or red depending on direction. 18 m (60 ft) square steel skeletal tower with gallery and the light atop a short fiberglass tower. Entire structure painted white. Brian Yap's photo is at right, a 2011 photo is available, Winsome Bonham has an aerial photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Endangered: in October 2015 the Department of Transport proposed to deactivate the light; it might then be demolished. Located at Pelican Point, the northwestern tip of Babbage Island, on the northwest side of Carnarvon. Site open, Lighthouse Cottage Museum open daily 2-4 pm, tower closed. Operator: AMSA (?). Site manager: Carnarvon Heritage Precinct. ARLHS AUS-276; Admiralty K1718; NGA 9252.
[Cape Ronsard (Bernier Island) (2)]
1985 (station established 1961). Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); two white flashes every 8 s. 3.5 m (12 ft) white fiberglass tower. No photo of the present light is available, and the small tower is not seen in Google's satellite view. The original lighthouse was a 7 m (23 ft) round cylindrical steel tower with lantern. Bernier Island is a long, sandy ridge about 30 km (19 mi) west of Carnarvon. The light is at the northern tip of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Operator: AMSA. Site manager: Dept. of Parks and Wildlife (Bernier and Dorre Island Reserve). Admiralty K1717; NGA 9264.

Babbage Island Lights, Carnarvon, July 2005
Flickr Creative Commons photo
by Brian Yap
* Point Quobba
1950. Active; focal plane 64 m (210 ft); four white flashes every 20 s. 18.5 m (61 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; the dome of the lantern is red. N.J. Bawden's photo is at right, Marek Migurski has another closeup photo, Lighthouses of Australia has a photo (about 1/4 the way down the page), Google has a satellite view and a very distant street view. The lantern was relocated here from Cape Wickham Light in Bass Strait, Tasmania. Point Quobba is famous for spectacular blowholes on the rocky beach; the lighthouse gets less attention. Located about 500 m (0.3 mi) south of Blowholes Road and 1.2 km (3/4 mi) from the beach, about 80 km (50 mi) north of Carnarvon by road. Accessible by road (4WD recommended). Site open but fenced, tower closed. Operator/site manager: AMSA. ARLHS AUS-215; Admiralty K1716; NGA 9268.

North West Cape (Exmouth Area) Lighthouses
Point Cloates (1)
1910. Inactive since the mid 1930s. Approx. 12 m (40 ft) round sandstone tower; lantern removed. The active light (1966; focal plane 39 m (128 ft); two white flashes every 15 s) is on a 3.5 m (12 ft) fiberglass tower about 1 km (0.6 mi) away. 1-story keeper's house in ruins. A closeup photo of the lighthouse is available, there is a portfolio of photos of the station, and Bing has a distant satellite view. Wikipedia has a National Archives photo dated 1917. This lighthouse was abandoned after it was heavily damaged by an earthquake. It was replaced in 1936 by a skeletal tower on Fraser Island, but that light was swept away by a storm in 1966. The light was returned to the mainland in the modern fiberglass tower. The historic tower has conspicuous cracks from the earthquake, but it has stood for more than 75 years and does not seem to be in danger of falling. In 2005 the lighthouse was added to the state register of historic places. Facing the Indian Ocean, Point Cloates is a remote location at the base of the Northwest Cape peninsula; it is within the 50,000 hectare (193 square mile) pastoral lease of Ningaloo Station. There is a helipad at the lighthouse, and it is possible to reach the site by 4WD from Exmouth. Site open, tower closed. Owner: unknown. Site manager: Ningaloo Station. ARLHS AUS-131; Admiralty K1714; NGA 9272.

Point Quobba Light, MacLeod, September 2012
Flickr Creative Commons photo
by N.J. Bawden
* Vlaming (Vlamingh) Head
1912. Inactive since 1967. 10 m (33 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower unpainted, lantern painted white. Oil house. The keeper's houses are leased to the Ningaloo Lighthouse Caravan Park and are available for overnight accommodations. Brian Yap's photo is at the top of this page, René Brask has a closeup photo, Keith Collicoat also has a great closeup, and Google has a good street view and a satellite view. This lighthouse was built to mark North West Cape, the northwestern corner of the Australian continent. The light was moved in 1967 to one of the tall skeletal towers of the nearby Naval Communications Centre. After being damaged by Cyclone Vance in 1999, the lighthouse was restored in 2000-2001 with the help of numerous volunteers and a federal cyclone repair grant. Ken Baker, of the former Commonwealth Lighthouse Service, succeeded in putting the light back in operable condition, making this the only working kerosene-fueled lighthouse in Australia. The light is lit only on a few special occasions. Note: although the cape is named for the Dutch explorer Willem de Vlamingh, the spelling Vlaming is customary for the lighthouse. Located 15 km (9 mi) north of Exmouth and about 10 km (6 mi) west southwest of the point of North West Cape (the northwestern corner of Australia). Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Shire of Exmouth. ARLHS AUS-165.
North West Cape
1967. Active; focal plane 129 m (423 ft); white flash every 3 s. 30 m (98 ft) slender steel skeletal communications tower. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. This tower is at the northwestern corner of a huge hexagonal array of naval communications towers. Located about 5 km (3 mi) east of the Vlaming Head lighthouse (previous entry). Site and tower closed. Owner: U.S. Navy. Site manager: Naval Communication Station, Harold E. Holt. Admiralty K1710; NGA 9276.

Pilbara Region Lighthouses

Pilbara Coast Lighthouses
Note: The name of the Pilbara, a vast region of northwestern Australia, is pronounced "Pillbra." Its coastline faces northwest on the Indian Ocean.
Bessieres Island (Bessiers Island, Anchor Island) (3)
1992 (station established 1913). Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); three white flashes every 12 s. 4 m (13 ft) white fiberglass tower. A photo is at right, but the tower is not seen in Google's satellite view. The original lighthouse, a 17 m (56 ft) skeletal tower, was demolished in 1982. Bessieres Island is one of a scattering of small islands obstructing the entrance to Exmouth Gulf. Located on the highest point of the island about 75 km (45 mi) northeast of Exmouth. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Operator/site manager: AMSA. Admiralty K1702; NGA 9284.
* Onslow
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white flash every 2 s. 18 m (59 ft) square skeletal tower with gallery, painted white. C. Pasquier has a closeup photo showing an osprey nest on the lighthouse, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view. Founded for the exporting of wool, Onslow has become the leading tourist town of the Pilbara. Located at Second Avenue and Watson Drive on the southeast side of Onslow. Site open, tower closed. Operator/site manager: AMSA. Admiralty K1704.1; NGA 9296.
Airlie Island (2)
1980 (station established 1913). Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); four white flashes, separated by 2 s, every 16 s. 21 m (69 ft) tapered steel skeletal tower with lantern and gallery. Lantern painted white. Winsome Bonham has a good aerial photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Airlie Island is in an oil and gas producing area and large tankers anchor offshore. The island itself is a nature reserve. O'Brien has a National Archives photo of the 1913 lighthouse (second row of photos). Located on the north side of the island about 27 km (17 mi) north of Onslow. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Operator/site manager: AMSA. ARLHS AUS-241; Admiralty K1698; NGA 9304.

Bessieres Island Light, Exmouth Gulf, July 2005
Panoramio Creative Commons photo
by Terra'Mer
[Mary Anne Reef (Mary Anne Island) (8?)]
2008 (station established 1933). Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); white flash every 5 s. 4 m (13 ft) white fiberglass tower. Bing has a satellite view. Lights have been replaced repeatedly at this exposed and dynamic location. Located on a reef about 15 km (9 mi) off the coast and 50 km (30 mi) northeast of Onslow. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Operator/site manager: AMSA. Admiralty K1696; NGA 9308.
Great Sandy Island (2)
1986 (station established 1959). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); three white flashes every 12 s. 4 m (13 ft) white fiberglass tower. No photo of the current light available, but Bing has a satellite view. NGA lists the height as 2 m (7 ft) This describes the original light, which was relocated to the Cape Naturaliste Lighthouse Museum (see the South Western Australia page). The current light is a "size 3 GRP tower" like the Steep Point and Bessieres Island Lights. Located on the southwest end of the narrow island, about 75 km (45 mi) northeast of Onslow.
North Sandy Island (2)
1980 (station established 1913). Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); two white flashes, separated by 2 s, every 8 s. 16 m (53 ft) tapered steel skeletal tower with lantern and gallery. Lantern painted white. Winsome Bonham has a good aerial photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on an island about 90 km (60 mi) northeast of Onslow. Site and tower closed. Accessible only by boat. Operator/site manager: AMSA. ARLHS AUS-237; Admiralty K1694; NGA 9316.
North West Island
1968. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); white flash every 5 s. 5 m (17 ft) white fiberglass tower. No photo of the current light available, but Google has a distant satellite view. This light is probably similar to the Bessieres Island Light. Located on the highest point of North West Island, the northernmost of the Montebello Islands. Accessible only by boat. Operator: AMSA. Site manager: Dept. of Parks and Wildlife (Montebello Islands Marine Park). Admiralty K1691.98; NGA 9328.
* Dampier Port Control Tower
Date unknown. Active; focal plane unknown; continuous red light. Lantern centered on an octagonal building, part of the port authority's headquarters. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Dampier is a modern industrial port northwest of Karratha. Located on East Intercourse Island, one of several islands connected to shore by causeways as part of the port development. Site open, tower status unknown. Owner/site manager: Pilbara Ports Authority. Admiralty K1691.77; NGA 9341.5.
Legendre Island (Cape Legendre) (4)
1989 (station established 1927). Active; focal plane 33 m (108 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 4 m (13 ft) white fiberglass tower. No photo of the present light is available, but Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse was a 12 m (40 ft) skeletal tower; the 1963 light was a round lantern with a Fresnel lens. The light was replaced twice in 1989, because the first replacement was destroyed almost immediately by a tropical cyclone. Legendre Island is the northernmost island of the Dampier archipelago, and the light serves as a landfall light for Port Dampier. Located at the western tip of the island, known as Cape Dampier. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Operator/site manager: AMSA. Admiralty K1690; NGA 9344.
** Jarman Island
1888. Inactive since 1987. 15.5 m (51 ft) round cast iron tower with lantern and gallery. Lower half of the tower painted red, upper half and lantern white. Guy wires are attached to the tower but appear to provide little support. The original 2nd order Fresnel lens is on display at Cape Naturaliste Light on the Southwest Coast (see the South Western Australia page). 1-story keeper's house in ruins. A photo is at right, the Karratha Visitor Centre has a page for the lighthouse, Lighthouses of Australia also has a page, and Google has a satellite view. This tower was prefabricated in Birmingham, England. The lighthouse was endangered for many years by rust and abandonment, but in 2003 the Australian government granted $75,000 to begin restoration of the lighthouse as a tourist attraction. Additional funding was sought from the Western Australia Lotteries Commission. By 2005 the restoration of the tower was complete. Located on an island 3 km (2 mi) southeast of Point Samson and about 3 km (2 mi) northeast of Cossack, a historic port that is being restored to its late 19th century appearance. Accessible only by boat. Site open, guided tours available from Cossack, tower closed. Owner/site manager: City of Karratha. ARLHS AUS-278.
Jarman Island Light
Jarman Island Light, Roeburn, January 2012
Panoramio photo copyright dreamershill; used by permission
Bedout Island (2)
1980 (station established 1909). Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 17.5 m (57 ft) stainless steel skeletal tower, painted white. There is a round metal equipment shelter under the base of the tower. Google has only a fuzzy satellite view of the island. The lantern from the original lighthouse was refurbished and placed on the Hillarys Boat Harbor lighthouse near Perth (see the South Western Australia page). Located on an island about 50 km (30 mi) off the coast and about 125 km (80 mi) northeast of Port Hedland. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Operator: AMSA. ARLHS AUS-293; Admiralty K1675; NGA 9416.

Kimberley Region Lighthouses

Kimberley Coast Lighthouses
Note: The Kimberley is a vast, mostly empty area in the northeastern corner of Western Australia. Broome is the largest and most accessible town in the region.
Imperieuse Reef (2)
1970 (station established 1960). Active; focal plane 30 m (100 ft); white flash every 5 s. 30 m (98 ft) round cylindrical stainless steel tower with gallery but no lantern. Taller sibling of the somewhat better-known Pelsaert Island Light (see the South Western Australia page). Located on the reef, the southernmost of the three coral reefs known as the Rowley Shoals, about 260 km (160 mi) west of Broome. Accessible only by boat; cruises to the reefs are available from Broome. Site open, tower closed. Operator: AMSA. Site manager: Dept. of Parks and Wildlife (Rowley Shoals Marine Park). ARLHS AUS-094; Admiralty K1674; NGA 9424.
* Gantheaume Point (3)
1984 (station established 1905). Active; focal plane 33 m (108 ft); two white flashes, separated by 3 s, every 10 s. 23 m (75 ft) tapered square steel skeletal tower with lantern and gallery. Lantern painted white. Keeper's houses demolished. Brian Yap's photo is at right, Winsome Bonham has a good aerial photo, John Ibbotson has an excellent closeup photo, David Rowley has a street view showing the lighthouse in action, and Google has a satellite view. The original lighthouse was replaced in 1917. The station is surrounded by interesting red rock formations. Located on the point, a prominent cape about 8 km (5 mi) southwest of Broome. Site open (but fenced), tower closed. Operator/site manager: AMSA. ARLHS AUS-212; Admiralty K1660; NGA 9428.
Red Bluff (2)
1987 (station established 1968). Active; focal plane 48 m (157 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 4 m (13 ft) white fiberglass tower. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. The original light was deactivated and removed in 1981; the station was inactive until 1987. Located atop a steep bluff on the mainland opposite East Island. There is road access to the light. Site probably open, tower closed. Admiralty K1659; NGA 9447.
East Island (2)
1984 (station established 1968). Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white flash every 2 s. 19 m (62 ft) skeletal tower, painted white. No photo available, but Google has a distant satellite view. Located on a tiny island at the southeastern end of a coral reef about 120 km (75 mi) north of Broome. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Admiralty K1658; NGA 9448.

Gantheaume Point Light, Broome, July 2005
Flickr Creative Commons photo
by Brian Yap
* Cape Leveque
1912. Active; focal plane 43 m (142 ft); three white flashes every 20 s. 13 m (43 ft) round steel (?) tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Keeper's houses demolished. Wikipedia's article has the photo by Bruce Mitchell seen at right, a closeup photo is available, Winsome Bonham has a good aerial photo, Chris Breen has a 2009 photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the northern tip of the Dampier Peninsula about 240 km (150 mi) north of Broome. It is possible to drive to the cape by 4WD, but most visitors arrive by air. The lighthouse is close to the rustic accommodations (cabins and tents) of the Kooljaman Resort. Site open (but fenced), tower closed. Operator: AMSA. Site manager: Kooljaman Aboriginal Community. ARLHS AUS-036; Admiralty K1650; NGA 9452.
Caffarelli Island
1967. Active; focal plane 130 m (428 ft); white flash every 10 s. 6 m (21 ft) round cylindrical steel tower with lantern, painted white. Winsome Bonham has a good aerial photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a high island in the Buccaneer Archipelago, a group of more than 1000 rugged islands north of Derby. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Operator/site manager: AMSA. ARLHS AUS-251; Admiralty K1646; NGA 9468.
Tanner Island (More Island)
1951. Active; focal plane 23 m (77 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 6 m (20 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. Winsome Bonham has a good aerial photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on another island of the Buccaneer Archipelago, about 25 km (15 mi) east of Caffarelli Island. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Operator/site manager: AMSA. ARLHS AUS-240; Admiralty K1643; NGA 9472.
Adele Island (3)
2004(?) (station established 1951). Active; focal plane 31 m (101 ft); white flash every 5 s. 30 m (98 ft) square steel skeletal tower, lower half pyramidal and upper half cylindrical. Google has a satellite view. Located at the northeastern tip of an island at the southern end of a reef system about 250 km (155 mi) north of Derby. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Operator/site manager: AMSA. ARLHS AUS-001; Admiralty K1640; NGA 9500.
Browse Island (3)
Date unknown (station established 1945). Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft) (?); two white flashes every 6 s. Approx. 11 m (36 ft) octagonal cylindrical white concrete tower. Google has a distant satellite view. The second (1958) lighthouse was a 32 m (105 ft) square skeletal tower; it seems that the focal plane of the new light should be lower. Amateur radio operators have an aerial photo of the island and the 1958 tower, taken in 2000. Located far out in the Timor Sea, about 275 km (175 mi) northeast of Derby. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Operator/site manager: AMSA. ARLHS AUS-308; Admiralty K1642; NGA 9504.
Cape Leveque Light
Cape Leveque Light, Dampier Peninsula, December 2006
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo
by Bruce Mitchell
Degerando Island
1960. Active; focal plane 37 m (121 ft); four white flashes every 20 s. 6 m (20 ft) round tower with lantern, painted white. Google has a satellite view. Located on a small island at the northern entrance to Collier Bay, a very remote area. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Operator/site manager: AMSA. ARLHS AUS-296; Admiralty K1641; NGA 9508.
Lesueur (Leseur) Island
1963. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); four white flashes every 16 s. 20 m (66 ft) square skeletal tower with gallery, painted white. No current photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Lesueur Island is a small island about 30 km (20 mi) east of Cape Londonderry, the western entrance to Joseph Bonaparte Gulf. Located at the west end of the island. Accessible only by boat. Operator/site manager: AMSA. Admiralty K1638; NGA 9512.
Lacrosse Island
1961. Active; focal plane 113 m (370 ft); white flash every 7.5 s. 6 m (20 ft) cylindrical steel tower, painted white. No lantern. Winsome Bonham has a good aerial photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on an island in the mouth of Cambridge Gulf about 80 km (50 mi) northeast of Wyndham. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Operator/site manager: AMSA. ARLHS AUS-097; Admiralty 1636; NGA 9516.
 

Information available on lost lighthouses:

  • Cape Bossut (1913-1980s), Kimberley coast south of Broome. This light tower, a 12 m (40 ft) square skeletal tower, was demolished in 1995. Wikimedia has a historic photo from the Australian National Archives. Google's satellite view of the cape shows nothing remaining from this light station. ARLHS AUS-022.
  • Fraser Island (1936-1966), Gascoyne coast near Point Cloates. The lighthouse was destroyed by a storm, which removed the land from under its base. The wreckage is seen underwater in the center of a Google satellite view. ARLHS AUS-297.
  • Mount Blaze (1921-1948?), Pilbara coast near Pardoo. O'Brien also has a small photo. The wreckage of this lighthouse was pushed into the sea.

Notable faux lighthouses:

  •  

Adjoining pages: East: Northern Territory | South: South Western Australia

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted June 15, 2004; checked and revised August 30, 2017. Lighthouses: 31. Site copyright 2017 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.