Dear Carolina Community,
During this challenging year, I am especially grateful for our devoted staff and the work they continue to do from home and on our campus. While most of our teaching and learning has happened remotely, our campus has remained open because of our staff’s dedication to our beautiful campus and vibrant community.
Over the past several months, many staff members have shared feelings of stress and anxiety as they have assumed additional duties and managed much uncertainty in the world. Today, I am announcing an effort that I hope will address some of these fundamental concerns by increasing transparency at the highest levels of the University while also including more individuals to advise in the decision-making process.
Effective immediately, I am appointing a Staff Advisory Committee to the Chancellor (STACC) to provide consistent opportunities for staff to meet, collaborate with and advise our leadership team and me. Like other advisory committees, this group will share concerns, make suggestions, offer guidance and advocate for the needs of their colleagues.
Appointments to this committee are for one year. The first meeting will be at 9 a.m. tomorrow and meetings will be held monthly with a break during June and July.
The inaugural members are:
- Joshua Canzona, associate ombuds, Ombuds Office
- Brian Collier, assistant director, research administration, Office of Sponsored Research
- Jennifer DeNeal, associate director, Ethics and Policy Office
- Phillip Edwards, instructional consultant, Center for Faculty Excellence
- Maria Estorino, associate university librarian for special collections and director, Wilson Library
- Shayla Evans-Hollingsworth, human resources specialist, College of Arts & Sciences
- Stephanie Forman, executive assistant, Gillings School of Global Public Health
- Amy Grau, executive assistant, University Communications
- Shayna Hill, business officer, College of Arts & Sciences and chair, Employee Forum
- Mike Hodge, support services supervisor, materials and logistics, Facilities Services
- James Holman, crew leader, Housekeeping Services
- Keith Jones, assistant director, programmatic development, Carolina Housing
- Aye Aye Mon, zone manager, Housekeeping Services
- Robert Smith III, associate chair for administration, neurology department, School of Medicine
- Mark Wampole, technical support specialist, ITS
- Jennifer Washington, business officer, College of Arts & Sciences
- Nicole Wiley, investigator, Equal Opportunity and Compliance Office
I want to thank Employee Forum Chair Shayna Hill who will co-lead this committee, along with a co-chair to be appointed by the other members. I appreciate everyone for their willingness to serve in this important capacity and look forward to working with them during the next year.
Kevin M. Guskiewicz