Influenza can be a serious, contagious respiratory disease, but the best way to prevent seasonal flu is to get vaccinated every year.
Students, faculty and staff have multiple opportunities to get a flu vaccination on campus:
- Student Stores Pharmacy offers no-appointment flu shots for students, faculty and staff Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Saturday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. The Student Stores Pharmacy is located on the third floor of the Student Stores Building. Medicare plans are not accepted. Please bring a copy of your insurance card.
- Campus Health Pharmacy, located in the basement of Campus Health, offers walk-in flu shots for students, faculty and staff Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Medicare plans are not accepted. Please bring a copy of your insurance card.
- University Employee Occupational Health Clinic offers flu vaccinations only for University health care personnel (including the UNC School of Medicine) and other personnel who are part of the Immunization Review Program. Flu vaccinations are available during walk-in hours from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Thursdays and Fridays.
- Campus walk-in clinics. Several walk-in flu vaccination clinics will be offered at various locations across campus with no advance registration required. Please bring both your UNC One Card and health insurance card. Medicare plans are not accepted. All clinic times listed below are from noon to 4 p.m., except the Oct. 20 Employee Appreciation Day event, which will run 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The walk-in clinics will be held:
- Thursday, Sept. 28, at the Michael Hooker Research Center in the lower-level atrium.
- Thursday, Oct. 5, at Koury Oral Health Sciences Building in the atrium lobby.
- Thursday, Oct. 12, in the Genetic Medicine Research Building lobby.
- Friday, Oct. 20, at Frank Porter Graham Student Union during the Employee Appreciation Day event.
Most health insurance plans offer flu vaccination with no copay. Campus Health is in-network with most major insurance plans, including the State Health Plan and Student Blue. See the Campus Health website for more information about health plans accepted. Campus Health does not accept Medicare plans. Please bring a copy of your insurance card. You will be billed for any out-of-pocket expense determined by your insurance company. Flu vaccination is available for $40 for those without insurance.
If you do not get your flu vaccination on campus but get one through your primary care provider or at a community pharmacy or clinic, you can still self-report compliance on the EHS website. More information regarding UNC-Chapel Hill flu clinics and flu prevention is available at flu.unc.edu.
This year, the University is once again partnering with Alana’s Foundation to track our campus participation in a national university competition. Anyone vaccinated at an on-campus pharmacy or flu clinic will automatically have their vaccine counted for UNC-Chapel Hill.