fbpx
Accolades

2024 Tanner Awards honor excellence in undergraduate teaching

These winners engage with their students through trips, performances, podcasts and breathing exercises.

Four Tanner Undergraduate teaching award winners collage image in front of Carolina Blue and purple background.

The awards were created in 1952 with a bequest by Kenneth Spencer Tanner ’11 and his sister, Sara Tanner Crawford (and on behalf of their deceased brothers, Simpson Bobo Tanner Jr. and Jesse Spencer Tanner), establishing an endowment fund in memory of their parents, Lola Spencer and Simpson Bobo Tanner. The award was established to recognize excellence in inspirational teaching of undergraduate students. Each of the winners receives a one-time stipend of $7,500 and a framed citation. 

Luoyi Cai

College of Arts and Sciences’ Asian and Middle Eastern studies department

Who is the best teacher you’ve had and why?

My mentor and supervisor as a visiting scholar at the University of Virginia. She embodied a genuine passion for education and provided unwavering support throughout the ups and downs of my early career. Her personal journey inspired me to maintain a sense of curiosity and humility as a lifelong learner.

What’s something creative you’ve done to engage your students?

As a language instructor, I prioritize authenticity in teaching by incorporating diverse, contemporary materials like podcasts, TikTok videos and popular TV shows. I’ve integrated Collaborative Online International Learning into my courses to establish connections with local and global institutions, facilitating immersive language experiences beyond the confines of the classroom.

Joshua Beaver

College of Arts and Sciences’ chemistry department

One of my favorites was seventh grade math and English teacher Mrs. Seefeldt. Despite her strict reputation, her approach fostered deep and thoughtful learning. Her encouragement to think outside the box was unforgettable, like when she challenged me to write a persuasive essay promoting my least favorite food, Brussels sprouts.

I promote inclusion and engagement by highlighting unsung scientists, molecules of the day, and learning as many of my 400+ students’ names as possible through class discussion. I also encourage students to care for themselves and model breathing exercises to help them manage their stress and improve their test-taking abilities.

Rachel Willis

College of Arts and Sciences’ American studies department

Michelle Robinson, Tim Marr and Gabrielle Berlinger inspired my teaching. Robinson employed a survival food fair with Octavia Butler’s “Parable of the Sower,” Marr explained the role of Stevie Wonder’s “Happy Birthday” song in MLK Day, and Berlinger’s students transformed art objects as they curated a UNC Jewish Studies exhibit.

Collaborative student planning, travel and reflections for visits to Carolina sock factories, hiking the Appalachian Trail, camping on Bear Island, and countless train and water journeys for engaged scholarship, presentations and experiential learning across the U.S. and Europe. The joy is seeing students find future paths for their meaningful work.

Joseph Megel

College of Arts and Sciences’ communication department

Leland Roloff at Northwestern. A performance studies scholar and Jungian therapist, Dr. Roloff met with me independently to discuss literature, media and imagery. His analysis and evocation of literature had a profound impact on how I think about performance and its potential to transform the way we understand the world.

I took a service learning class to the Rogers Road community, whose water was poisoned by a nearby landfill. They volunteered at the community center and interviewed some of the elder members. They presented a performance based on their research at the University and for the citizens of Rogers Road