fbpx
Athletics

CPA debuts second ‘Artists/Athletes’ video

Women’s soccer player Sam Meza and tap dance trailblazer Michelle Dorrance collaborated in the Carolina Performing Arts presentation. 

Press the play button above to watch the video

Dizzying footwork and percussive kicks mix with an original score punctuated by tap beats and soccer sounds in the latest “Artists are Athletes / Athletes are Artists” video from Carolina Performing Arts.

The second installment in the series features Carolina women’s soccer player Sam Meza and Michelle Dorrance, founder of Dorrance Dance and an award-winning tap dancer.

“This initiative is a celebration of common ground between the sports world and the arts world,” said Alison Friedman, the James and Susan Moeser Executive and Artistic Director at CPA. “It underlines the synergies between our top-tier athletic programs and the global artistic icons we host. Excellence is woven into Carolina’s ethos, be it artistic or athletic. In this series, we bring this intersection to life, intensifying appreciation for both spheres. Game recognizes game!”

The video premiered at Carolina’s women’s soccer game against Notre Dame on Oct. 19 and was produced in collaboration with Myriad, a Raleigh-based creative video agency. It features many recognizable locations, including Dorrance Field (named for Anson Dorrance, Michelle’s father and the legendary coach), Memorial Hall, CURRENT ArtSpace + Studio and the Bill Koman Practice Complex.

“The phrase ‘artists are athletes, athletes are artists’ couldn’t be more true,” said Meza. “When I’m on the pitch, I’m able to express myself through my fitness, agility and strength, just like artists do with their craft. It was an honor working with Michelle to showcase the similarities between soccer and tap dance, and I encourage our devoted fans to support Carolina Performing Arts just as much as they do Carolina soccer.”

Dorrance echoed that sentiment.

“I’ve always seen soccer players as brilliant, gritty improvisational dancers. And maybe that’s rooted in my mom being a beautiful former professional ballet dancer, now a teacher, and my dad, a ruthlessly competitive soccer player, now coach — both deeply musical, by the way. I’m also a superfan of Sam Meza’s. This project was an absolute dream to be a part of for so many reasons, but getting to collaborate with Sam on the field where I grew up watching some of the best women to ever play the game was unforgettable. I am so grateful to Alison and CPA for the vision to make this happen.”

COMING SOON: Carolina Performing Arts will announce its schedule for the ’24-’25 season in May 2024. Don’t miss out on an exciting season lineup featuring fan favorites, performance debuts and internationally-revered artists. Subscribe to CPA’s newsletter here.