fbpx
Athletics

Aranza Vazquez Montaño claims another NCAA diving title

It's the senior's second straight title in the springboards, coming one day after winning her second 1-meter championship.

Aranza Vazquez Montaño holding a trophy and waving
Aranza Vazquez Montaño now has back-to-back NCAA diving championships in the 1-meter and 3-meter events. (Carolina athletics)

For the second year in a row, North Carolina’s Aranza Vazquez Montaño swept the springboard competitions at the NCAA Division I Women’s Swimming & Diving Championships, capturing the 3-meter title Friday night one day after winning her second 1-meter championship Thursday.

She surged ahead after round four and posted a score of 56.55 in the fifth round to maintain a slim over Texas’ Hailey Hernandez. 

Vazquez scored 67.50 points on her final dive for a winning total of 364.75 and her second repeat championship.

“It is super special,” Vazquez said. “[Coach Yaidel Gamboa] told me to trust myself, to keep my head in the game, and do the dives I know how to do. He gives me confidence that I can do it one more time. 

The Tar Heels are currently 15th with 76 points.

Juniors Greer Pattison and Skyler Smith, along with senior Ellie VanNote, earned honorable mention All-America accolades after reaching the B final of their respective events. 

VanNote placed 11th overall in the 100-yard butterfly, Smith 12th in the 100-yard breaststroke, and Pattison 16th in the 100-yard backstroke.

The championship concludes Saturday with the 1650-yard freestyle, 200-yard backstroke, 100-yard freestyle, 200-yard breaststroke, 200-yard butterfly, platform diving, and 400-yard freestyle relay. The prelims start at 10 a.m., and the finals at 6 p.m.